Safety Knowledge for Using Natural Gas
Characteristics of Natural Gas
1. The natural gas is a type of combined liquefied fossil fuel incorporating various components. Its main ingredient is paraffin, mainly composed of methane, with a small percentage of ethane, propane and butane. It mainly exists in the oilfields, gas fields, coal beds and shale beds. Without generating either residue or poisonous substance after combustion, the natural gas has the advantages of safe application, high heating value and cleanliness, compared to the energies such as coal and petroleum.
2. The colorless and odorless natural gas is neither poisonous nor corrosive too. It is a suffocating gas. If a room is accumulated with higher density of natural gas resulting in relatively less density of oxygen, it may cause people to suffocate leading to death.
3. The natural gas is easily combustible and explosive. When the natural gas in combination with air reaches a certain level of density, an explosive combination gas is formed. With its extreme limit for explosion in the range of 5%-15%, the natural gas is under the category of Class A dangerous chemicals. When the mixing proportion reaches the explosive range, explosion will take place in case of the presence of flame. In order to ensure safety in use, the natural gas has undergone the process of adding unpleasant odor so that the leakage of natural gas can be detected promptly by the irritating smell.
4. The natural gas is supplied to the users' natural gas equipment directly from the natural gas pipeline. It is easy and convenient to use.
Notes for Using Natural Gas
1. The location for using the natural gas shall keep adequate ventilation and emission at all times.
2. Use the qualified equipment using the natural gas and follow the correct operation as specified in the manual.
3. The equipment using the natural gas shall be incorporated with automatic protection devices including the detection of gas leakage and the automatic stop of gas supply.
4. Conduct regular check of gas leakage and inspection of the equipment and accessories using the gas as required.
5. After being used for a long period, the plastic hose connected to the equipment using the gas may have the incident of leaking gas due to leaks caused by aging. Therefore, the hose should be as short as possible, which should not be longer than 2m and not go through the wall. The hose must be checked at any time and replaced promptly in case of having any signs of aging.
6. If the abnormal leakage of natural gas takes place, open the windows immediately to maintain ventilation, close the valve, evacuate all the people in the room and must not turn on/off any electrical equipment.
7. Usually, the soap foam is used for the leakage check. Make foam by mixing the soap or deter powder with water and apply the foam to the part for checking any leakage. If there is the leakage of natural gas, the gas will keep blowing the foam to become bubbles. Must not use flame (such as by means of using the cigarette lighter or the match) for checking the leakage. Otherwise, it may most likely cause explosion.
8. If anybody is found to have suffered from gas poisoning, must open the windows and move the victim outdoors with good ventilation immediately. Help the victim by doing the mouth-to-mouth ventilation. The seriously poisoned victim has to be sent to the hospital with the hyperbaric oxygen chamber for treatment.
9. Alteration or causing damage to the natural gas facilities is forbidden.